A lump on the side of the leg is a common problem, but not everyone knows why it appears, how dangerous it is, and whether it can be removed. It can grow with valgus deformity of the first toe, which is called «Hallux valgus». It is characterized by the elimination of phalanges in relation to each other. Due to the fact that the first metatarsal bone moves inward, and the big toe moves outward, a bump is formed on its head. Constant pressure causes pain in the bone on the leg, which provokes inflammation of the synovial bag of the joint, called «bursitis». If the unpleasant sensation occurs above the area of the foot, but in the ankle, then the problem is more often associated with a change in the position of the bone.
In this article you will learn:
- The reasons for the appearance of a lump on the bone
- What causes pain in the bone on the ankle
- Methods of treatment
The reasons for the appearance of a lump on the bone
There are various factors that lead to the deviation of the first toe and bunion. In order to prevent and stop the progression of the pathology, you should know about the main causes and eliminate them. The most common of them is transverse flat feet associated with wearing the wrong shoes, namely:
- High heels — in the feet, which are in a position when their rear part is raised, there is an uneven distribution of the load of the body’s weight on their surface. The greatest load falls on the front part of the foot, due to which it flattens. At the same time, in a fairly short period of time, a woman sees a crooked finger and a swollen leg on the side;
- A narrow sock — due to this, the fingers are constantly squeezed, are in a physiologically abnormal position, which gradually leads to deformation in the metatarsophalangeal joint of 1 finger;
- Small size — if the shoes are shorter than necessary, then the unnatural position of the toes leads to bursitis.
Heredity, hormonal disorders, injuries, excess weight can accelerate the development of valgus deformity of the finger and the bump on the joint. All this stimulates the weakening of the ligamentous apparatus of the feet. Improper nutrition can also play a role, in which the body does not receive vitamins and other necessary substances (calcium, magnesium, etc.) necessary for the strength of bone tissues.
What causes pain in the bone on the ankle
Pain in the bone on the ankle can be caused by the removal of the talus bone, which creates not only discomfort, but also causes the development of joint diseases. Pain can also be caused by:
- Improper shoes with freebies that press and constantly injure the ankle;
- Damage to ligaments, and in addition to pain, swelling appears, and the heel may turn inward;
- Fracture — when the heel bone is damaged, it is difficult to stand on it. With a fracture of the metatarsal bones, there is a sharp swelling and a large hematoma, which spreads to the inner part of the ankle. The foot in both cases has a swollen appearance;
- Dislocation — in addition to pain, a swollen bone on the ankle is noticeable;
- Joint diseases — gout, arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis.
Methods of treatment
What to do if the bone on the side of the leg hurts? For this, you can use pharmacy ointments or gels. There are also many recipes for various herbal infusions and compresses on the Internet. This allows you to slightly reduce pain, but still the main task is to prevent the progression of the disease. Regardless of why the bone on the leg hurts on the side of the ankle or on the joint of the first toe, the first thing to do is to solve the problem with the shoes. It should press on the problem area. In order to ensure the correct position of the feet and the uniform distribution of the load on their surface, supinator insoles that support the longitudinal and transverse arches should be purchased.
It is impossible to return the bones to the correct position with lotions and ointments, orthopedic devices are needed here — various bandages and splints. Full or partial immobilization with orthoses may be required. A valgus brace with abduction of the finger is necessary for a bump on the knuckle and curvature of the finger. In case of severe pain, an X-ray is taken, after which the doctor prescribes one or another product based on the diagnosis and the degree of deformation.